Monday, March 12, 2012

Finishing Grandma's Quilt Project

Finishing Grandma's Quilt Project!





Pin It
My grandmother passed away ten years ago. She was a phenomenal homemaker and a very gifted craft-woman. She knit some incredible sweaters in her lifetime that were pieced with love. I was helping my mom go through some boxes last weekend and we came across some quilt squares that Grandma had scrapped together but never assembled into a quilt. All the fabric was there (enough for backing and binding), and so I decided to finish it. After soaking the vintage fabric overnight, most of the musty smell was gone as well as most of the stains. The blocks were hand sewn, but I knew I didn't have that much patience, so I machine quilted this one. I wanted a simple look, so I just stitched in the ditch. This was my first time attempting a scrappy binding (since there wasn't quite enough of the cute fabric to go all the way around)--I am quite pleased with how it turned out. I think Grandma meant it as a little boy's baby quilt, but since the fabric appears to be from 1940 or 1950, lots of spit-up and washing is not in this quilt's future. It would make a great car quilt since it's only lap size. So fun to complete a bit of history from so long ago.

Check out those tiny stitches she did!

The back
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love!